Kotak Securities Review, Brokerage Charges, Demat Account, Apps & more
Kotak Securities, has known for their unorthodox approach to embrace new technologies and ideas over the past few years. In short, they have proven worthy to be called a well know and well respected full service brokerage firm.
Nevertheless, in today’s article, we will dig deep into Kotak Securities Review & their ways of operation and the convenience of using their respective products, services, offers, customer support, research and advisory and most importantly all the platforms they offer to their respective clients for the purpose of remote trading.
In short, we will try to verify if Kotak Securities has really been able to maintain the supremacy in the Indian trading industry or not.
Kotak Securities Customer Ratings & Review
|Kotak Securities Ratings|
|Experience||8.2 / 10|
|Trading Platform||8.1 / 10|
|Product & Services||8.2 / 10|
|Brokerage Charges||8.5 / 10|
|Research||8.1 / 10|
|Overall Rating||8.25 / 10|
About Kotak Securities
Kotak Securities as a brokerage house serving across all the financial trading asset classes, and the CEO of the company is Jaideep Hansraj. It was established in the year 1994.
The company was incorporated in Mumbai, Maharashtra before it went on to serve the nationwide traders and investors. The firm has been ever since operating as a subsidiary for Kotak Mahindra Bank and claims itself to be the best broker as of today.
Perhaps, that is not exaggerating at their end, considering the fact that they have over 13 lakh active accounts in the present that are managed by their gigantic network of over one thousand and two hundred branches spread across three hundred and seventy seven cities in India.
As a matter of fact, their traders and investors make up to 5 lakh trades on an average day. Furthermore, they have also managed to time and again pioneer many services.
In fact, they were the very first in the nation to introduce Mobile Stack Trading App that could track all the investments of a person on the go.
They also came up with the concept of SMS alerts right before the execution of depository transaction. And they have also been recognized for their tremendous efforts more than once.
Today, they stand as the proud winners of Gold award presented to them at ACEF for Email marketing & successful use of technology, “Early adopter of Analytics” award presented to them at Machine learning conference 2018, Best Brokerage India 2018 – by Triple A Asset Country Awards in the Best Advisors South Asia Category and many more.
Open Demat Account with Kotak Securities
Kotak Securities Brokerage Charges & Fees
There are two types of Brokerage Plans available with Kotak Securities:
Standard Plan & Free Intraday Plan. Check the Table below for both the Plans –
|Brokerage Charge & Fees|
|Standard Plan||Trade Free Plan (Rs.999 per Year)|
|Equity Delivery Trading||0.49%||0.25%|
|Equity Intraday Trading||0.049%||Free|
|Commodity Options Trading||NA||0.25%|
|Equity Futures Trading||0.049%||Rs.20 per executed order|
|Equity Options Trading||Rs.100 per Lot||Rs.20 per executed order|
|Currency Futures Trading||0.049%||Rs.20 per executed order|
|Currency Options Trading||Rs.70 per Lot||Rs.20 per executed order|
|Minimum Brokerage||Rs.21 per Trade||Rs.21 per Trade|
|Demat AMC Charges||Free or Rs.300 per Annum||Free or Rs.300 per Annum|
|Trading AMC Charges||Rs.500 per Annum||Free|
|Margin Money||Minimum Rs.25,000||Zero Margin|
|Brokerage Calculator||Kotak Securities Brokerage Calculator|
NOTE: Trade Free plan is for intraday trades, and it provides free intraday trades irrespective of segment. In short, intraday trades across Cash, Futures & Options, Currency & Commodity segments are free.
Kotak Securities Free Intraday / Trade Free Plan
This plan provided unlimited Intraday Trades @ yearly subscription of Rs.999. Under this segment, there is a flat brokerage charge for Derivatives segment, whereas Delivery and commodities brokerage charge is 0.25%.
If you want to trade in futures and options, then you need to pay a brokerage of Rs.20 per executed order for both equity and currency segments. Intraday across any segment is free from any kind of brokerage charges, which is the major perk of availing the Trade Free Plan.
This plan has multiple benefits like Trading AMC is Free, Zero Margin requirement & unlimited Intraday Trading. For rest of the Segments, Brokerage remains same as standard plan.
Kotak Standard Brokerage Plan
This plan very much similar to Free Intraday Plan.
If you take a glimpse at the table, you will be able to clearly understand that Kotak Securities charge 0.049 % in terms of brokerage on Currency Futures, Equity Intraday & Equity Futures.
They Charges 0.049 % in terms of brokerage on the total Equity Delivery Trading value, Rs.100 per lot in terms of brokerage on the total Equity Options, Rs.70 per lot in terms of brokerage on the total Currency Options Trading value.
The Company also charges Rs.21 per trade in terms of Minimum Brokerage, Rs.300 per annum for maintaining a Demat Account and Rs.500 per annum for maintaining a Trading Account.
They also have made it mandatory for their respective traders and investors to maintain a minimum balance of Rs. 25,000 in the terms of Margin Money.
Find brokerage charges of other Stock Brokers
|Angel Broking||HDFC Securities||India Indoline / IIFL||Motilal Oswal|
|Axis Direct||ICICI Direct||Karvy||Upstox|
Kotak Securities Charges
|Transaction Charges||0.00320% of Total Turnover|
|STT||0.0126% of Total Turnover|
|SEBI Turnover Charges||0.0002% of Total Turnover|
|Stamp Duty||Depends on State (very minimal)|
|GST||18% of (Brokerage + Transaction Charges)|
The table that has been presented above can be referred to for gaining an understanding of all the charges other than the brokerage that are imposed by the firm up on all of their traders and investors.
As you can easily conclude, Kotak Securities levies a charge of 18 % on the total value of brokerage and transaction charge, 0.0126 % on the total turnover in terms of Securities Transaction Tax, 0.0002 % of the overall turnover as SEBI Turnover Charges and a variable (but minimal) amount in accordance to the state laws as Stamp Duty.
Here are other charges you need to know about –
- Dematerialisation – For availing this service the investors are required to pay Rs.150 per certificate + Rs.50 per request (courier charges).
- Rematerialisation – Contrarily, for availing this service, the charges to be paid are Rs.10 for 100 securities (shares, bonds, mutual fund units, etc.; subject to minimum of Rs.15)
- DP Charges – The transaction related charges are 0.04% of the value of securities (subject to minimum of Rs.20) for Debit sell transaction, nil for credit buy transactions.
- Pledge Charges – These charges are for the margin purpose and are Rs.20 per ISIN for request, invocation and Release (Un-pledge), individually. As for non margin purpose, the Pledge charges are 0.05% of the value of securities (subject to minimum of Rs.30) for request and .04% of the value of securities (subject to minimum of Rs.30) for invocation.
Kotak Securities Demat Account Opening Charges
|Depository Source||NSDL & CDSL|
|Account Opening Charges||Zero or Rs.499|
|Demat AMC Charges||Free or Rs.300 per Annum|
|Trading AMC Charges||500|
|Margin Money||Minimum Rs.25,000|
|Offline to Online||No|
Kotak Securities has always been known and appreciated for the approach towards embracing one and all in terms of traders and investors.
As a matter of fact, anyone from throughout the nation can register themselves as traders or investors with Kotak Securities without even paying any amount whatsoever for the sake of opening an account.
Nevertheless, they do require the traders to pay a charge of Rs.300 every year in terms of Demat Account AMC and a sum of Rs.500 every year in terms of Trading Account AMC.
Furthermore, the brokerage house also requires all of their traders and investors to maintain a minimum balance of Rs.25,000 as Margin Money.
This must be noted that all these charges can be paid to the brokerage house either through the NSDL & CDSL.
Kotak Securities Offers
|Free Demat Account||Yes|
|Free Trading Account||Yes|
|Discount on Brokerage||Yes|
|Trading Happy Hours||Yes|
|Flexible Brokerage Plans||Yes|
|1 Month Brokerage Free||No|
|Zero Brokerage for Loss Making Trades||Yes|
The Biggest offer the broking house is providing is the “Free Intraday Offer”.
Kotak Securities extensively lay down offers related to Zero Brokerage for any and all the Loss Making Trades, provision of Free Demat Account, Flexible Brokerage Plans and Trading Happy Hours.
Nevertheless, they do not have any offers in terms of the provision for Free Trading Account, Discount on Brokerage, Referral Offers, One month worth of brokerage free trading or even Holiday Offers.
Find Offers from other Broking Houses
|SBI Smart||Aditya Birla Money||Asit C Mehta Investment||Bonanza Portfolio|
|Narnolia Securities||Alice Blue Online||Astha Trade||Choice Broking|
|Zerodha||Anand Rathi||BMA Wealth Creators||Geojit Finance|
How to Open Demat Account with Kotak Securities?
Understandably, you can be inclined towards joining Kotak Securities after getting to know their offers and charges. All you need to do is –
- Click the green colored ‘Open Demat Account’ button appearing just underneath this particular section.
- As soon as you click on the green button, a new form will pop up on your computer screen.
- Go through the entire form carefully, reading each and every line present within the form thoroughly.
- Next, you must fill up the entire form with proper and accurate information and submit the form along with a few other documents.
- You will require to submit a list of certain documents in order to take care of the KYC verification in terms of your age, identity and address.
- The KYC verification procedure will require you to have Aadhar Card, PAN Card, and a photograph.
- As soon as you conclude all these steps, you will be contacted upon by an authorized personnel on behalf of Kotak Securities. This personnel will take care of the final verifications before allowing you to grant full access to your account.
As soon as you complete these steps, you can expect to be granted full access to your new account within a matter of a few hours.
Why Open a Kotak Securities Trading Account?
As per the policies set by the Indian government, anyone who wants to trade across any or all segments of Equity and Derivative based stocks must have a Demat or at least a Trading Account.
As a matter of fact, there are numerous reasons as to why you must register yourself with Kotak Securities:-
- They have been around the Indian Stock Trade industry for almost twenty five years and have pioneered in many services, thereby gaining the deserving trust they have today.
- Broking House is a corporate member of the NSE and the BSE and also a depository participant with the NSDL and CDSL.
- They have been recognized for the Silver award in the Best SEO for Website at DMAI 2015, Gold award for Effective Use of Market research, Bronze award for Effectiveness in Radio and Bronze award for Innovation in Cupshup campaign awarded to Agar Magar Campaign at Asia Pacific Customer Engagement Award 2015 – 16 among a lot of other social recognition.
Open Free Intraday Trading Account with Kotak Securities
Kotak Securities Products & Services
Here are the various products & services provided by the broking house.
Kotak Securities Products
Kotak Securities, as a full service brokerage house offers services across almost all the products thinkable around equity and derivative based trading.
Typically speaking, Kotak Securities offer extensive services related to Banking, Insurance, Systematic Investment Plans, Forex Trading, Options Trading, Mutual Funds, Currency Trading, Futures Trading and Equity Trading. Nevertheless, they have no service offerings with regards to Commodity Trading.
Kotak Securities Services
|3 in 1 Acount||Yes|
|Trading Exposure||Upto 10x|
The aforementioned chart has been drafted so as to give you a proper hint about the kind of services Kotak Securities provides for their respective traders and investors.
As you can clearly observe, they provide services in terms of Portfolio Management Services, Demat Account Services, 3 in 1 Account, Intraday Services, Initial Public Offerings, Stock Recommendations and Trading Services.
They provide all of these services with an additional leverage of up to twelve times trading exposure. Typically speaking, the full service brokerage firm provides every service related to Equity and Derivative Based Trading apart from Trading Institution and Robo Advisory.
Kotak Securities Research & Advisory
|Research & Advisory|
|Company Stock Review||No|
|Free Stock Tips||Yes|
|Daily Market Review||Yes|
The above mentioned table of content has been created so as to give you a proper understanding of all the Research and Advisory services that Kotak Securities has to offer for their registered traders and investors.
You can easily see by observing the chart that they provide extensive support in terms of Free Stock Tips, Annual Reports, Relationship Manager, Weekly Reports, Fundamental Reports, Company Reports, Research Reports, Offline Advisory, Initial Public Offering Reports, Daily Market Overview and Monthly Reports.
However, you can also see that they do not provide a service related to Company Stock Overview or Top Picks.
Kotak Securities Exposure / Leverage
|Exposure / Leverage|
|Equity Intraday||Upto 10x|
|Equity Futures||Upto 1x|
|Equity Options||Upto 1x|
|Margin Calculator||Kotak Securities Margin Calculator|
If you are wondering about the kind of leverage Kotak Securities has to provide to their registered traders and investors, then you can refer to the aforementioned chart which has been drafted in order to give you a proper hint of the same.
If you look closely into the chart, then you will find that Kotak Securities provides a trading exposure of up to 10X on Equity Intraday Trading.
Designated margin or exposure for other segments, i.e. Delivery, Equity Futures and Equity Options is 1x each.
However, in any condition that you still get stuck up on what kind of exposure you will be getting on a certain trade you are about to commence so as to get a proper hint of the additional stocks you can get, then you must most definitely take the help of the dedicated Margin Calculator Tool that goes by the name of Kotak Securities Margin Calculator.
The tool can help you to calculate the exact amount of leverage you will be getting from the brokerage house over multiple segments like Intraday, Delivery, F&O, Currency & Commodity, thereby, helping you to get a glimpse of the total number of additional stocks you can buy with the very same amount of investment.
Check Margin or Exposure of other stock brokers
|IDBI Direct||KIFS Trade Capital||Nirmal Bang||Prabhudas Lilladher|
|Jhaveri Securities||Mastertrust Capital||Groww||Profitmart|
|JM Financial||Monarch Networth Capital||Paytm Money||Reliance Securities|
Kotak Securities Trading Platforms
Kotak Securities has always believed in leading the market by embracing and implementing new technologies. And more than often, they have pioneered the new and completely unorthodox tech so as to give an edge to their respective clients.
As of today, they have the following remote trading platforms to offer to their respective clients.
|Desktop Platform – Windows||Yes|
|Desktop Platform – Mac||Yes|
|Desktop Browser Platform||Yes|
|Mobile Site Platform||Yes|
|Android App Platform||Yes|
|iOS App Platform||Yes|
|Windows App Platform||No|
|Other Mobile OS Platform||No|
|Real time Updates||Yes|
|Online MF Buy||Yes|
|Multi Account Management||Yes|
The various Trading Platforms are –
Kotak Securities Keat Pro X – Kotak Securities Trading Terminal
As you must already guessed, Kotak Securities has developed their very own dedicated browser based trading platform by the name of KEAT Pro X.
KEAT Pro X is an extremely high speed browser based trading platform that enables the users to keep a track of the live market, trade online across BSE and NSE and also manage their respective portfolios.
It has the following features:-
- The Terminal is capable of keeping tabs on your portfolio in terms of it’s performance even on a minute to minute basis.
- This Trading Platform allows the users to access all the research and advisory being provided by the brokerage firm’s dedicated team of professionals on a real time basis so as to be able to make informed trades and increase the chances of their respective profits.
- Keat Pro X enables the users to get real time access to the ongoing and news of the BSE, the NSE and more.
- This Platform enable the users to create their very own personalized watch lists in order to keep a track of certain stocks across several exchanges and indices in real time.
- It also enable the users to combine various script from the BSE, NSE and other market within a single watch list. Furthermore, all the watch lists created in KEAT Pro X can also be found on the same user’s account on other Kotak’s Platforms
- The platform grants the users exclusive access to a variety of unique charting tools in order to make graphs and charts and thereby project the past and future performance of any particular scrip.
Kotak Stock Trader – Kotak Securities Mobile App
Kotak Securities is perhaps one of the few full service brokerage houses in the nation who provide a mobile app to their respective users that is compatible across the Android, IOs as well as the Windows mobile platforms.
The app has been named Kotak as Kotak Stock Trader and comprises of the following features:-
- It enables the users to buy and sell securities as well as to cancel and modify orders on the Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange on the go. It also enables the users to set their respective stop loss price and trigger price.
- The app enables the users to check their respective holdings and positions in real time.
- It grants the users to access live quotes, intraday charts, tips as well as track market movements in real time.
- The app enables the users to create personalized watch lists and hence keep a track of the scrips of their choice.
- It enables the users to execute hassle free transfer of funds between their respective bank accounts and online trading account.
- The users are also enabled to check the available funds as well as the total margin left on their respective accounts by simply clicking on the ‘Available Funds’ option.
- The mobile app uses the existing order routing system of Kotak Securities and is secured using HTTPS. Typically speaking, it brings into use AES 128 bit encryption that is the highest level of encryption available for mobile share trading software.
The apps can be found in the Google’s Play Store, Apple App Store and Microsoft’s Store by the name of Kotak Stock Trader.
Kotak TradeSmart Terminal
Kotak Securities has also developed a terminal based trading platform to offer to their respective traders and investors.
The terminal based trading platform that goes by the name of TradeSmart, has been developed on JAVA keeping the needs and requirements of the traders and investors who still prefer to trade using a computer that does not have all the new age tech integrations.
The software comes with the following features:-
- TradeSmart enables the user to keep a track of their respective open positions across several exchanges and indices.
- It enables the users to keep a check on the available funds in their respective trading accounts in real time.
- This Platform enables the users to get instant and real time access to all sorts of company reports and stock recommendations from the brokerage firm’s dedicated research division.
Apart from these, Kotak Securities has also developed Xtralite which is a fast trading website specifically designed and developed for the users with slower internet connections.
Kotak Securities .com – Web Based Platform
Investors get to trade with an edge with all new website which is designed for speed and performance. The interface in use is pretty user friendly and lets you navigate seamlessly through mobile and desktop browsers.
Featured supported by this platforms are massive and are configured in the most simple way, to get you hooked with a full fledged trading experience.
Features you get to enjoy include Smart search and Intuitive orders, Watchlists and Market Dept, Auto live streaming and real time positions, single click navigation and lots more.
Kotak Securities Customer Care
|Toll Free Number||1800 222 299|
If you look into the above mentioned chart, you will be able to clearly observe that Kotak Securities has a stronghold in providing customer care services in terms of offline trading, 24 * 7 support, email support, dedicated dealer as well as online support.
They also have a toll free number that can be used to contact them. The number is 1800 222 299. The well adorned brokerage house provides all of the aforementioned services through a network of one hundred and sixty branches spread across the nation.
Kotak Securities Complaints
|Complaints (Current Year)|
|Lodged in BSE||185|
|Resolvd in BSE||182|
|Lodged in NSE||226|
|Resolved in NSE||214|
As you can speculate from the above mentioned table of content, Kotak Securities, as a full service brokerage house received a total of 185 complaints against them in the BSE out of which 182 were resolved and a total of 226 complaints against them in the NSE out of which 214 were resolved.
Kotak Securities Disadvantages
Although a leader in their respective industry, Kotak Securities still have a couple of problems that can prove to be a bit troublesome for the users:-
- Considering the fact that they rely and embrace so much of tech, they still do not provide any sort of chat support.
- They have not been able to resolve all the complaints that were logged against them the previous year.
Kotak Securities Conclusion
Kotak Securities, in itself is a live vision of the future. They have well deservingly attained the heights of success they stand on toady and are ceaselessly evolving to become even better and serve even further. They truly are a brilliant brokerage house.
Kotak Securities Review FAQs
Ques – Is Kotak Securities safe for trading?
Answer – Yes, there is a high degree of trust this brand carries and it extends to the other financial domains as well, such as the banking sector. They are one of the potential market players, who have a sprawling customer base, that highly trust them.
Ques – What is the brokerage of Kotak Securities?
Answer – If you wish to invest with Kotak Securities, you have the option of choosing from 2 different brokerage plans. The first plan is Standard Plan, while the second plan is Free Intraday Plan, where only Rs.999 is paid per year, and brokerage for intraday trades across all segments is waived off.
Ques – How to open Kotak Securities demat online?
Answer – The first step is to click on the “Open Demat Account” button from this article. When you see a pop up, fill it up and then click on submit. Next process is KYC which can be done seamlessly, with the assistance of a company representative.
Ques – Can I invest in IPO via Kotak Securities?
Answer – Yes, this stock broker provides you with the option of investing in the latest IPO. You need to seek the assistance of the stock broker’s online website or opt for the offline mode of application. Make sure you fill in all the details and see the terms and conditions appropriately.
Ques – What Leverage does Kotak Securities provide?
Answer – Leverage varies from one segment to another, and is fixed as per certain criteria. The highest of leverage is provided in the segments – intraday 10x. Rest of the segments, i.e. equity delivery, equity options and equity futures have a margin range of 1x.
Ques – Does Kotak Securities have trading App?
Answer – Yes, the stock broker lets you invest in the most seamless manner, through the provision of an app. This is compatible for trading on the go, and with the app’s exclusive features and friendly UI, you can carry out uninterrupted trading procedure.
Ques – How to contact Kotak Securities customer care?
Answer – This stock broking house only excludes the service of chat support. Rest assured, you can contact them through the channels of dedicated dealer, offline and online trading, email, and toll free numbers. Accordingly, your query will be solved effectively.
Ques – Does Kotak Securities provide Research?
Answer – This company is a full service stock broker and hence, this is one of the many services you can get from the stock broker. It lets you invest in the most efficient manner, by providing various tips and research materials, provided by their expert team.
Ques – Is Kotak Securities good for Beginners?
Answer – Yes, this company will be a great option for the beginners because they have a lot of help from the broker’s end, including offline as well as research and advisory services. The tips will help the trader make certain decision regarding investment.
Ques – Who Founded Kotak Securities?
Answer – This stock broker is a subsidiary of the Kotak Mahindra bank and came into existence in the year 1994. They have a great track record of providing great services for their huge client base and the present MD and CEO of the stock broker is Jaideep Hansraj.
Open Free Intraday Trading Account with Kotak Securities
Find Reviews of other Stock Brokers
|Religare Securities||Shri Parasram Holdings||Sushil Finance||Ventura Securities|
|SAMCO||Shriram Insight||Swastika Investmart||Way2Wealth|
|SAS Online||SMC Global||Tradebulls||Yes Securities|
Most Read Articles
|Top 10 Discount Brokers in India|
|Top 10 Full Service Brokers in India|
|Best Stock Broker in India|
|Top 10 Intraday Trading Brokers in India|
|Best Demat Account in India|
|Stock Broker Comparison|
|Top 10 Broking Franchise|
|Sub Broker Franchise|
|Stock Market Franchise|