Sharekhan Review, Brokerage Charges, Demat A/C, Trading Platforms & moreLast Updated Date: Apr 23, 2022
Sharekhan is one of the largest full-service brokers in Mumbai, India, with over 1.8 million clients.
Sharekhan, as the name resembles, is a beast in the Indian equity and derivative trading terrain, which was, in fact, one of the first to introduce the Indians to the concept of online trading.
Our article today is meant to elaborate and analyses how the company enacts in terms of the products it has to offer, the services it extends, the brokerage amount it imposes, other relevant charges it seeks,.
Of course, the significance as well as the effectiveness of all the platforms it has made its presence on.
Let’s have a detailed review of Sharekhan, Sharekhan Demat Account, Sharekhan Brokerage Charges, Sharekhan Trading Platforms like Tradetiger & other important features.
Sharekhan Customer Ratings & Review
|Experience||8.7 / 10|
|Trading Platform||8.8 / 10|
|Product & Services||8.5 / 10|
|Brokerage Charges||8.3 / 10|
|Research||8.2 / 10|
|Overall Rating||8.50 / 10|
|Broker Type||Full Service Broker|
Sharekhan set its foot in 2000. The full-service broker was associated with SSKI and has recently been acquired by BNP Paribas Group. Now it is known as Sharekhan by BNP Paribas.
Sharekhan is a promising entity which delivers uptop services and is amongst the Best Stock Broker in India. They provide full-service brokerage services through their online trading website sharekhan.com and 1850 offices. It also has an international presence in the Oman and UAE countries.
Sharekhan now has more than 14,00,000 customers in India, and its client base includes individual investors, institutional and traders, corporates & NRI’s.
In addition, they offer investment activities in BSE and NSE.
You can invest here in IPOs and mutual funds and take benefits of depository services (Demat account). In addition, Sharekhan has another wing that provides commodity trading on MCX and NCDEX – Sharekhan Comtrade.
Open Demat Account with Sharekhan – Fill up the Form Now!
Sharekhan Brokerage Charges & Fees
|Brokerage Charges||Basic Plan|
|Equity Options||Rs 50 per lot|
|Currency Options||Rs 30 per lot|
By carefully observing the table, you can easily conclude that the brokerage house pre-determinedly charges 0.5% about Equity Delivery Trading, 0.1% about Equity Intraday Trading, 0.1% about Equity Futures Trading, 0.1% about Commodity Trading.
The broking house charges 0.1% about Currency Futures Trading, Rs.50 per lot in terms of Equity Options Trading, Rs.30 per lot in terms of Currency Options Trading.
They also levy Rs. 400 every year for the sake of maintaining Demat Accounts annually.
Besides the charges mentioned above, the brokerage house does not levy any compulsions regarding the annual maintenance charge for Trading Account maintenance of any minimum Margin Balance whatsoever.
Sharekhan Prepaid & Postpaid Plans – Details
Sharekhan offers a range of prepaid and postpaid brokerage plans. These plans are based on the basic brokerage charges and vary based on the margin scheme selected.
These basic brokerage charges and the plans have been discussed below:
- Sharekhan Prepaid Brokerage Plan
2. Sharekhan Prepaid Brokerage Plan
Sharekhan Post-Paid Brokerage Plan
|Postpaid Plans – New Trader||Postpaid – Day Trader|
|Future next day||0.10%||0.10%||0.09%||0.07%||0.05%||0.04%||0.03%||0.02%||0.02%|
|Option||Rs.100 per Lot||Rs.100 per Lot||Rs.95 per Lot||Rs.80 per Lot||Rs.70 per Lot||Rs.50 per Lot||Rs.40 per Lot||Rs.30 per Lot||Rs.25 per Lot|
Sharekhan Pre-Paid Brokerage Plan
|6 Months Prepaid Plan||Annual Prepaid Plan|
|Future Next Day||0.1%||0.1%||0.09%||0.07%||0.05%||0.04%||0.03%||0.02%||0.015%||0.005%|
|Option||Rs.100 per Lot||Rs.100 per Lot||Rs.95 per Lot||Rs.80 per Lot||Rs.70 per Lot||Rs.50 per Lot||Rs.40 per Lot||Rs.30 per Lot||Rs.25 per Lot||Rs.10 per Lot|
Sharekhan Minimum Brokerage Charges
As mentioned above, at relevant instances, Sharekhan has prescribed certain minimum brokerage charges, i.e., a minimum prescribed charge will have to be paid even for every minimal quantum of trade.
Therefore, the charges increase as the quantum increases based on the prescribed rates discussed above.
These minimum charges have been summarized below for ease of reference:
Intra-day Trades – Minimum brokerage of 5 paise/share.
As mentioned above, the basic brokerage charge for intraday is 0.1%; hence, if an investor trades for INR 50 or lesser, an amount of 5 paise/share would be levied as a minimum brokerage charge.
Delivery Based Trades: Minimum brokerage fee of 10 paise/share.
As mentioned above, the primary brokerage for a delivery trade is 0.5%; hence, if an investor trades for INR 20 or lesser, 10 paise/share would be levied as a minimum brokerage charge.
Minimum DP charges: Rs 16/- per scrip when the total traded value is Rs 3200/- (or less if it is a sell transaction).
For a detailed calculation of brokerage & other charges, check out our Sharekhan Brokerage Calculator.
Similar Stock Brokers you may also Like
As can be gathered from the chart that has been tactically mentioned above, Sharekhan does impose several relevant charges other than the usual brokerage from its registered traders and investors.
|SEBI Turnover Charges||0.00005% (₹5/Crore)|
|STT||Delivery: 0.1% on both Buy and Sell|
Intraday: 0.025% on the Sell Side
Equity Futures: 0.01% on Sell Side
Equity Options: 0.05% on Sell Side(on Premium)
Commodity Futures: 0.01% on sell side (Non-Agri)
Commodity Options: 0.05% on sell side
Currency F&O: No STT
On Exercise transaction: 0.125%
Right to entitlement: 0.05% on sell side
|Stamp Duty||(On buy side only) Delivery: 0.015%, Intraday: 0.003%, Equity Futures: 0.002%, Equity Options: 0.003%, and Currency F&O: 0.0001%.Commodity Futures: 0.002%, Commodity Options: 0.003% (MCX)|
|GST||18% on (Brokerage + Transaction Charge + SEBI Fee)|
|Margin Funding Charges||75% Margin|
|Reactivation Charges||Rs 20 per instruction|
|Account Closure Charges||Rs 25 per instruction|
|Dematerialisation Charges||Rs 5 per certificate|
|Pledge Creation||0.03% of the value of the transaction (Min Rs 100)|
|Pledge Invocation||Rs. 17.5 per scrip|
|Margin Pledge/Unpledge/ Pledge closure||Rs. 12.5 per scrip|
|Margin Repledge||Rs. 12.5 + Rs. 12.5 (Rs. 25 per scrip)|
These charges are taxed in the form of 0.00275 % on the overall turnover value as Transaction Charges, 0.0002 % on the overall turnover value as Securities Transaction Tax, 0.0002 % on the overall turnover value as the SEBI Turnover Charges, and 18 % on the sum of the total levied up on brokerage charge and a transaction charge.
They also charge a variable amount to collect Stamp Duty, which is, of course, a minimal amount nonetheless. So here are the further charges you need to know about.
- Dematerialization Charges -Charges for moving physical certificates into electronic form are set at Rs.5 per certificate.
- Rematerialization Charges – Contrary to the change of electronic certificates to physical form would cost you Rs 50 per certificate or Rs 50 for every hundred securities.
- Custody Charges -There are no defined custody charges, and the charges are nil.
- Pledge Creation -Stating the charges of Pledge are 0.03% of the value of the transaction (Min Rs 100).
- Freeze/De-freeze -Blocking or De-freezing your account would cost you Rs.25 each.
- Additional Statement of Holding/Transaction -The charges in context with this shall be Rs 10.
To know in detail, just click on this link Sharekhan Brokerage & Other Charges.
Compare Sharekhan with Other Brokers
Compare Stock Brokers
Sharekhan Demat Account Opening Fees
|Trading Charges [One Time]||Rs 0 (Free)|
|Trading AMC [Yearly]||Rs 0 (Free)|
|Demat Charges [One Time]||Rs 0 (Free)|
|Demat AMC [Yearly]||Rs.400 (Free for 1st year)|
|Margin Money||Zero Margin|
Sharekhan does not charge any account opening fees. The trading AMC & Demat charges are also free.
For the Demat account, though the opening fee is NIL, there is an AMC of INR 400. This fee is waived off generally for the first year with the trading account
To know in detail, just click on this link Sharekhan Demat Account.
|Free Demat Account||No|
|Free Trading Account||Yes|
|Discount on Brokerage||Yes|
|Trading Happy Hours||No|
|Flexible Brokerage Plans||Yes|
|1 Month Brokerage Free||No|
|Zero Brokerage for Loss Making Trades||No|
Sharekhan has diversified its operations to a very scale along with diversifying its customers and offering the best of facilities to them.
It does not take much to conclude all the types of offers being extended by Sharekhan for all of their respective traders and investors after getting a glimpse at the chart that has been well designed and presented above.
As you can see, the well-acclaimed brokerage firm reputed as one of the Top 10 Full-Service Brokers in India lays down exclusive offers regarding Free Trading Account opening provision, extensive Concession on the overall Brokerage value, extremely Flexible Brokerage Plans, Referral Offers, and even a month worth of brokerage free transactions.
Nonetheless, they have not come up with any offers related to Holiday based Offers, Trading Happy Hours, or the provision to charge Zero Brokerage Amount on any or all of the loss-making trades.
How to open Demat account with Sharekhan?
If the information given above has laid down an impact on you in such a manner that you are already looking forward to joining Sharekhan as a trader or as an investor but are not sure how you can do that.
Follow the steps as we mention them underneath, and you will end up registering yourself with this fantastic brokerage house in absolutely no time:
- Start by clicking on the green-colored ‘Open Demat Account’ button.
- Clicking the button will result in a form popping up on your computer screen.
- Go through every single word mentioned within this form thoroughly and carefully.
- Once you complete reading the entire form, fill all the mandatory sections with exact and correct details.
- After submitting the form, you will be asked to complete the KYC procedure.
- This procedure will require you to upload certain documents to verify your age, address and identification.
- For this, you must have your Adhar card, PAN Card, and a copy of your photograph.
- As soon as you conclude all the previously mentioned steps, you will be contacted by authorized personnel on behalf of Sharekhan, who will commence the final round of verifications before handing you over your account.
- You may expect to get access to your new account and login details with Sharekhan after the final verification within a couple of hours.
Open Demat Account with Sharekhan – Fill up the Form Now!
Why Open Sharekhan Trading account?
Being a trader across various government-recognized indices and exchanges within the Indian constitution requires the people to have a Demat or at least a Trading Account.
Moreover, registering yourself as a trader with a reputed brokerage house comes with its perks.
Here are some of the most compelling reasons as to why you should consider registering with Sharekhan Trading Account:
- They are one of the first brokerage houses in India to introduce the traders and investors of the nation to the very concept of online trading.
- They have a vast network of more than two thousand six hundred outlets across five hundred and seventy-five cities and twenty-eight states, waiting to assist you with some of the best services and products within the industry.
- Sharekhan has been recognized more than once in the past. They have been bestowed upon with multiple awards.
- For suite customer requirements, they offer a different trading platform that includes an Installable terminal, mobile, call & trade, and in-person trade through branch offices and online browser-based trading.
- It offers different brokerage slabs to suit individual customers. Higher your trade, your brokerage gets reduced. They have multiple brokerage schemes available with them.
- They offer investors online and classroom training, seminars, trips, and workshops.
- It doesn’t charge for any DP transactions. The transfer of shares from and to the DP account is free.
- Sharekhan has a nationwide network of branches. You can easily find a Sharekhan branch in your neighborhood.
- Call & Trade facilities are free with Sharekhan.
- It also allows fixed-deposit as collateral for future and option trading.
Sharekhan Products & Services
Here is the list of Products & Services offered by Sharekhan:
Giving even a short glimpse at the chart mentioned above will provide you with a proper understanding of all the products that Sharekhan offers.
The products regarding Systematic Investment Plans, Commodities Trading, Mutual Funds, Options Trading, Equity Trading, Currency Trading, and Futures Trading.
However, they do not have any products in terms of Insurance, Banking, or Forex Based Trading.
Investment Cart: It is an innovative tool that ensures buying stocks in bulk and tracking them.
The product also allows the user to keep track of changes in the stock price added to the cart after his last visit.
Pattern Finder: The Pattern Finder is a tool that analyzes the indices and stocks to extract various profitable opportunities and then delivers the required information.
In addition, the device is known for scanning the stores every night based upon technical analysis standards.
Smart search: You can save the effort by just looking across the web pages for mutual funds, stocks, features, tools, FAQs, etc., with the help of the smart search.
Exchange Margin Funding: Exchange margin funding is a type of leverage mechanism that enables you to get the funding for various new buy trades in the approved securities by paying an upfront margin.
|3 in 1 Acount||No|
|Trading Exposure||Upto 5x|
If you look into the table mentioned above with a bit of concentration, you will observe that this is the most exciting section of this entire article.
Why? Sharekhan, as one of the major brokerage houses in the nation, provides almost all the trade-related services one can ask for.
Typically, speaking, they provide services in Trading Institution, Portfolio Management, Initial Public Offerings, Robo Advisory, Trading, Demat, Stock Recommendations, and Intraday Services with trading leverage of up to thirty-two times.
Prime picks: The portfolio follows the dual investment approach and includes two portfolios known as Alpha Portfolio and Quality Folio under a single scheme.
Strong portfolio: Creating wealth with long-term investments is one of the portfolio management services designed mainly for investment inequities.
The minimum investment is 50 lakhs to avail of the service.
More about Sharekhan Services & Products
In addition to the services mentioned above and products, Sharekhan also provides research services.
Their research teams help traders with stock tips, quarterly company result analysis, investment advice & policies, and news alerts to its customers through email, SMS, and other campaigns.
It would provide free online and classroom seminars/workshops to its investors. The Sharekhan accounts come with online and in-person help from the Sharekhan representatives.
Another exciting offer of Sharekhan is the Pattern Finder tool. This analytical tool studies the scrips and the indices and then flashes prospective opportunities to investors.
This may help save investors time and effort as it does all the analysis and scans all the stocks, conducts technical Research, prepares charts patterns, and forecasts prices.
Sharekhan classroom: It is a fantastic facility provided by Sharekhan to investors. They can learn about the market, mutual funds, SIPs, etc., and learn through modules.
In addition, the Sharekhan Classroom calendar can be accessed via their platform to know about the modules.
NRI services: Sharekhan app and web portal allow the NRIs to have a dedicated relationship manager to assess their requirements.
They can avail trade through phone or call facility. Regular email services as per the recent market recommendations and conditions.
NRI can avail real-time portfolio tracking and the price alert to be updated for the investments. Secure transactions with securities settlement and automated funds
Sharekhan Research, Advisory & Stock Tips
|Research & Advisory|
|Company Stock Review||Yes|
|Free Stock Tips||Yes|
|Daily Market Review||No|
It is no miracle that Sharekhan has managed to achieve such gigantic success in such a short time.
They provide extensive leverage and exposure on specific asset classes, give out a lot more than satisfactory services to their respective clients and investors, enable their separate traders to trade across all the major asset classes, and excel in providing ace quality research and advisory.
As you can see within the table mentioned above, they provide overwhelmingly gratifying Research and advisory in terms of Offline Advisory, Monthly Reports, Company Stock Overview, Weekly Reports, Annual Reports, Top Picks, Research Reports, Company Reports, Fundamental Reports and Free Stock Tips.
They also provide a Relationship Manager to their respective clients. In short, they provide all sorts of Research and advisory apart from Daily Market Review and Initial Public Offering Tips.
Sharekhan Exposure or Leverage
|Exposure / Leverage|
The table above has been deliberately placed to give you a proper understanding of the kind of leverage Sharekhan provides across all the major asset classes.
As you can see within the chart, they typically provide a trading exposure of up to 1x on Equity Futures Trading, up to 5x on Equity Intraday Trading, Upto 1x with 24% interest per year on Equity Delivery Trading, up to 1x on Commodities Future Trading.
Equity Options Trading, Currency Futures Trading, and Currency Options Trading leverage is 1x.
Nevertheless, if you still end up having any doubts about the exact amount of leverage that you’ll get on a complex number of shares you want to buy, then you must, without any second thoughts, refer to their dedicated tool Sharekhan Margin Calculator.
How to transfer shares in Sharekhan from other Stock Brokers?
CDSL or Central Depository Securities Limited is said to have a feature known as Easiest, via which users can transfer stocks from one broker to another. And for this, you can have to follow the steps stated below:
- Login to the web platform of CDSL
- Now click the register option via the link.
- Now select the Easiest option.
- Then, you can fill in all the details and take another print out and submit it to your depository participant.
- DP will forward them to the central Depository for verification.
- Once the verification finishes, you can add the stocks from the earlier trading account to your current trading account.
Sharekhan Trading Platforms
Like all full-service brokers, Sharekhan also provides trading platforms for all devices & browsers; let’s review its trading platforms
|Desktop Platform – Windows||Yes|
|Desktop Platform – Mac||Yes|
|Desktop Browser Platform||Yes|
|Mobile Site Platform||No|
|Android App Platform||Yes|
|iOS App Platform||Yes|
|Windows App Platform||No|
|Other Mobile OS Platform||No|
|Real time Updates||Yes|
|Online MF Buy||Yes|
|Multi Account Management||Yes|
Sharekhan TradeTiger Review: Sharekhan Desktop based Trading Terminal
The key features of TradeTiger are:
- Allows trading in multiple segments (for multiple exchanges BSE/NSE/Cash & F&O/ MCX/NCDEX ) from a single platform
- Real-time market updates; Multiple Market Watch available
- Offers advanced trading and analytical tools like Trade from Excel and HeatMap
- Allows customizing the charts, screens, languages, themes, layouts, shortcuts, etc.
- Tie-up with 12 other banks for online transfer of funds
- Graph Studies are available, including Average, Band- Bollinger, Know Sure-Thing, MACD, RSI, etc.
- Hotkeys similar to a traditional broker terminal
- Different tools are available to gauge the market like Tick Query, Ticker, Action Watch, Option Premium Calculator, Span Calculator, and Market summary.
Sharekhan Website Review: Sharekhan Web based Trading Platform
In this Trading platform, investors can buy and sell stocks with features like Integrated Banking, multiple watch lists, Demat and digital contracts, Instant credit & transfer, and Real-time portfolio tracking with price alerts.
Below are the following features of Sharekhan Web Trading Platform:
- Online trading account for Equities and Derivatives
- Free trading through Phone / Dial-n-Trade (discussed below)
- Automatic funds transfer with phone banking (Citibank and HDFC bank).
- After-hours order placement facility between 8.00 am and 9.30 am
- Integration of Online trading + Bank + Demat account
- Instant cash-transfer facility against the purchase & sale of any shares
- Get Instant order and trade confirmations by email or SMS
Sharekhan Mobile App based Trading Platform: Sharekhan App Review
Sharekhan App is a user-friendly app with the following features:
- Offers extensive features for both traders and investors
- Lets the user trade, view charts & detailed quotes, add to MarketWatch & virtual portfolio directly from the scrip search page.
- Enhanced live charts
- Lets the user Trade-in advanced orders (Bracket Order) and track the orders in the enhanced report section
Sharekhan Mini Review: Low Bandwidth Web based Trading Platform
A low bandwidth website that can be accessed on a basic 2G phone and smartphone. This website allows users to:
- Track the market trend by allowing access to the chart for various BSE and NSE scrips;
- Trade-in different segments with multi-exchange streaming watchlist.
- Invest in and track Mutual funds.
- Transfer funds from Bank to Trading account or MF or IPO & vice versa.
This platform lets the investor undertake a trading activity through phone calls. Additionally, this trading platform has a 3 step security process.
The investor would have to call the dedicated contact numbers and provide a PIN, post which the investor would be connected with the telebroker and can place an order.
The features for this platform are:
- Toll-free numbers;
- The calls are recorded;
- No capping on the number of calls;
- The telebroker also provides guidance, assistance, and tips, if asked for
- Facility to discuss and understand trends and factors affecting the markets
- For equity and derivatives, the timings are 8:30 to 4:30 pm, and for trading in commodities, the timings are 9:00 to 5:00 pm.
You can set your financial goals with the Sharekhan market app as it is built and designed for investors and traders alike.
With them, you can trade in Derivatives and Equities from BSE and NSE and invest in Mutual Funds via the Sharekhan app.
In addition, various features like measurement tools and advanced charts allow you to make intelligent trading decisions. At the same time, shortcut bars and portfolio customization will enable you to monitor the investments.
Sharekhan Customer Support
The table has been presented to explain every sort of support provided by the customer care section of Sharekhan.
|Toll Free Number||1800 22 7500|
As you must have already concluded, the nationwide acclaimed brokerage house provides exclusive customer support in Chat Support, Online Support, Dedicated Dealer, Online Support, and Email Support.
They have a network of around one hundred and twenty-six branches located across the nation and allow the traders and investors to reach out to them through a toll-free number 1800 22 7500.
However, they do not provide support 24 * 7.
Sharekhan Complaints & Feedback
|Complaints (Current Year)|
|Lodged in BSE||198|
|Resolvd in BSE||184|
|Lodged in NSE||218|
|Resolved in NSE||217|
Nevertheless, around one hundred and eighty-four and two hundred and seventeen complaints were resolved within the same year in the respective exchanges
- Does not offer a 3-in-1 account as they do not provide any banking services.
- The brokerage charges are Percentage-based, which is higher than flat fee brokers.
- They charge a minimum brokerage of 10 paisa/stock. It would not let your stock trade below 20 rupees (you may lose the most money in brokerage).
- The facility to place orders after trading hours is not available.
- The Classic account holders can’t trade commodities.
Sharekhan has very well proven its worth in terms of being a market leader over the past few years.
The company refuses to be constant about its growth in terms of technology and constantly focuses on improving its products and services, which in itself is a commendable feat.
As a result, you can trade from just a single platform, i.e., Sharekhan, for all the major commodity exchanges.
Sharekhan Review FAQs
Here is the list of FAQs related to the Sharekhan review:
Is Sharekhan safe for trading?
Sharekhan belongs to the group of stockbrokers who have excellent market experience.
They have been in business for a long time and have established themselves as a brand, which investors and traders look for. Hence, they are safe for trading.
What is the brokerage of Sharekhan?
Sharekhan levies the brokerage structure charged by the traditional brokers, i.e., the full-service brokers. They charge on a percentage basis, as per the transaction volume.
They also provide prepaid and postpaid brokerage plans for their customers.
How to open a Sharekhan Demat online?
Opening a Demat account can be done in a few simple steps. First, you have to click on the green button on this page, and it will take you to the pop-up form.
Enter the details, as asked, and then go through the KYC process to get your account activated.
Can I invest in an IPO via Sharekhan?
Yes, this stockbroker provides the investment facility in an IPO, and the account holders can apply to subscribe for their favorite IPO issue.
The process can be carried on either online or offline as per the feasibility of the concerned individual.
What Leverage Does Sharekhan provide?
If you wish to trade based on leverage, you can avail yourself of up to 5x leverage while performing intraday trading.
Other rates are 1x on Equity Futures Trading, nil on Currency Futures, 1x on Equity Delivery, 1x on Commodities Future, 1x on Options.
Does Sharekhan have a trading App?
Yes, Sharekhan provides a user-friendly app stuffed with high-end features and is easy to use.
The client can trade on the go irrespective of time and place. Apps are the most feasible way of investment in present times, and this broker keeps up with it.
How to contact Sharekhan customer care?
This broker has a vast network of sub-broker, and you can reach out to their offices via the offline process.
Apart from that, you can use their toll-free number, email them your concern, or choose to discuss your query over chat since they provide chat assistance.
Does Sharekhan provide Research?
Yes, this company is indulged in research services that greatly help and support the investors. A team of experts allows investors to invest appropriately to help them reap high returns from their investment.
Is Sharekhan suitable for Beginners?
This stockbroker is one of the industry’s best market players at present times, and investors strongly believe in them.
Moreover, they provide educational facilitation, which makes them an excellent choice for beginners, and the broker will provide them with end-to-end details.
Who Founded Sharekhan?
Shripal Morakhia is the founder of Sharekhan, which entered the stockbroking industry in the year 2000 to pioneer the online retail brokerage industry.
The company started leveraging right from the digital era of the stock market, i.e., electronic trading.