Check this article to know about the Best Discount Brokers in India 2022.
In trading stocks and other related assets, investors and traders are always concerned about the brokerage charges.
However, to lessen the woos of the traders and investors discount brokers came into the picture.
A discount broker generally provides trading and Demat facilities which are basic as they charge very little brokerage charges.
The Top Discount Brokers will charge you way lesser than traditional brokers.
However, discount brokerage houses do not provide any research or advisory services except a handful of them.
In this article, you are going to read about the Top 10 Discount Brokers in India.
Top 10 Discount Broker in India
Check out the list of Best Discount Brokers in India –
|1||Zerodha||9.36 / 10|
|2||Angel One||9.18 / 10|
|3||Upstox||9.15 / 10|
|4||Groww||9.03 / 10|
|5||IIFL / India Infoline||8.86 / 10|
|6||Edelweiss||8.48 / 10|
|7||Paytm Money||8.23 / 10|
|8||5Paisa||8.18 / 10|
|9||Samco||8.12 / 10|
|10||MyEspresso||7.95 / 10|
Best Discount Brokers as per our ranking and ratings are Zerodha, Angel One, Upstox, Groww, IIFL, and others as you can check in the table above.
We have chosen these Discount Brokers as the top ten in this country as per different parameters.
The parameters include quality of trading platforms, commission or brokerage charges. Then we also took into account the number of active clients each of these discount brokerage houses is having.
Furthermore, we have analyzed the types of products they offer to the clients or how innovative the products are.
Then our team also evaluated the quality of the services all these brokers provide. Then there are other parameters like Brand value or Brand Trust and Innovative programs.
Lets have a detailed understanding of these 7 parameters & how these discount brokers excel really well in these parameters.
Open Free Demat Account with your Favorite Discount Broker
Top Discount Brokers with Quality of Trading Platforms
The first parameter is the quality of trading platforms. As per this parameter, the Top Discount Brokers are Zerodha, Groww, Angel One, Upstox, and IIFL.
The quality of the trading platforms which these discount brokers offer has been evaluated based on three aspects.
Firstly, there is a trading platforms rating based on customer ratings and reviews. Then we have the types of trading platforms offered by these brokers and finally the features of the platforms.
Trading Platform Rating
|Trading Platforms Rating (out of 10)|
|Fast Trade Completion||9.50||9.30||9.25||9.40||9.17|
|Bulk Trade Processing||9.35||9.60||9.47||9.38||9.10|
|Trading without Errors||9.40||9.30||9.38||9.65||9.15|
|Easy to Use||9.56||9.75||9.55||9.25||9.15|
The ratings have been provided based on factors like fast trade completion, trading without errors, quick interaction, bulk trade processing, ease of use, and features available.
If it is about fast trade completion, then you can see Zerodha Kite App has the highest ratings. Similarly, if it is about bulk trade processing, the Groww has the best support for it.
Types of Trading Platforms
|Types of Trading Platforms|
|Web Trading Platform||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Algo Trading Platform||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Robo Advisory Platform||No||No||Yes||No||No|
|Basket Trading Platform||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
There are different types of trading platforms for ease of use of the clients.
Angel One has all of them whether it is a mobile app, web trading platform, terminal, Algo trading, and also the Robo trading platform.
It also has a basket trading platform. Zerodha, Upstox has them all except the Robo Advisory platform and Groww only provides the basic three types of platforms.
Trading Platform Features
|Trading Platform Features|
|Buy / Sell||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|International Stocks Trading||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Tips / Advisory||No||No||Yes||No||Yes|
While evaluating the quality of the trading platforms, one of the most important things is the features.
As you can see in the table above, there are multiple features provided by the discounts brokers in their trading platforms.
The trading platforms are generally loaded with features multiple technical charts, indicators, alerts and email settings, wishlist, or favorites.
Top 10 Discount Brokers with Lowest Brokerage & Other Charges
The second parameter that we analyzed for choosing these Top 10 Discount Brokers is brokerage & other charges and also other charges associated with trading.
The discount brokers which has the most affordable brokerage charges are Edelweiss, Zerodha, Angel One, Upstox, and IIFL.
These five out of the ten on the list have been providing reasonable brokerage plans for all investors and traders.
Zerodha brokerage charges was the 1st discount brokerage system in India.
Brokerage Charges & Fees
|Equity Delivery Trading||Rs.10 per Order||Rs 0 (Free)||Rs 0 (Free)||Rs 0 (Free)||Rs 0 (Free)|
|Equity Intraday Trading||Rs.10 per Order||Rs.20 per Order||Rs.20 per Order||Rs.20 per Order||Rs 20 per Order|
|Commodity Options Trading||NA||Rs.20 per Order||Rs.20 per Order||Rs.20 per Order||Rs 20 per Order|
|Equity Futures Trading||Rs.10 per Order||Rs.20 per Order||Rs.20 per Order||Rs.20 per Order||Rs 20 per Order|
|Equity Options Trading||Rs.10 per Order||Rs.20 per Order||Rs.20 per Order||Rs.20 per Order||Rs 20 per Order|
|Currency Futures Trading||Rs.10 per Order||Rs.20 per Order||Rs.20 per Order||Rs.20 per Order||Rs 20 per Order|
|Currency Options Trading||Rs.10 per Order||Rs.20 per Order||Rs.20 per Order||Rs.20 per Order||Rs 20 per Order|
|Minimum Brokerage||Rs.10 per Order||Zero||Zero||Zero||Rs.0.05 per Share|
As you can see in the table above, the brokerage charges are pretty nominal. Except for Edelweiss, no other four brokers on the list charges brokerage on equity delivery trades.
However, Edelweiss charges only Rs.10 per order while other discounts brokers in the table above charges Rs.20 per order.
As a trader, you can trade any number of stocks, commodities, options, futures, and other assets but only pay fixed charges as mentioned above. It is most beneficial for the bulk traders.
Account Opening Fees
|Account Opening Fees|
|Account Opening Fees||Free||Rs.200||Free||Free||Rs.295|
|Demat AMC||Rs.300 (1st Year Free)||Rs.300 per Annum||Rs.450 per Annum||Rs 249 per Annum||Free for 1st year|
|Margin Money||Zero Margin||Zero Margin||Zero Margin||Zero Margin||Zero Margin|
Apart from brokerage charges, there are account opening charges which you need to consider as well.
You can open accounts for free with Edelweiss, Angel One, and Upstox. Zerodha and IIFL charge very nominal account opening fees of Rs. 200 and Rs. 295 respectively.
While there are no annual maintenance fees for trading account, Demat account AMC is there as you can see in the table above.
However, Edelweiss doesn’t charge it for the first year so is IIFL. None of these brokers provide a margin trading facility.
Government & other Charges
|Transaction Charges||0.00275% of Total Turnover||0.00325% of Total Turnover||0.00325% of Total Turnover||0.00275% of Total Turnover||0.00325% of Total Turnover|
|STT||Equity Delivery: 0.1% on both Buy and Sell|
Equity Intraday: 0.025% on the Sell Side
Equity Futures: 0.01% on Sell Side
Equity Options: 0.05% on Sell Side(on Premium)
Commodity Futures: 0.01% on sell side (Non-Agri)
Commodity Options: 0.05% on sell side
Currency F&O: No STT
On Exercise transaction: 0.125%
Right to entitlement: 0.05% on sell side
|SEBI Turnover Charges||0.00005% (Rs.5/Crore)||0.00005% (Rs.10/Crore)||0.00005% (Rs.10/Crore)||0.00005% (Rs.5/Crore)||0.00005% (Rs.5/Crore)|
|Stamp Duty||(On buy side only)|
Equity Futures: 0.002%
Equity Options: 0.003%
Currency F&O: 0.0001%
Commodity Futures: 0.002%
Commodity Options: 0.003% (MCX)
|GST||18% on (Brokerage + Transaction Charge + SEBI Fee)|
Finally, we have also analyzed the other charges which increase your trading expense ratio.
As these other charges are mostly decided by the SEBI or government of India, they are the same across all brokers with a few differences.
As you can see in the table above, the transactions charges vary but within a very short range of 0.00275% to 0.00325%.
STT is the same across all brokers so is GST and stamp duty varies according to the state of trading.
Discount Brokers in India with Highest Active Clients
Check out Best Discount Broker in India with highest active clients –
|IIFL / India Infoline||7,18,597|
You may be wondering why we have evaluated active clients to choose the Discount Brokers in India, isn’t it? It is because active clients help in creating a volume of trading.
It will help you get a better price. The highest number of active clients is with Zerodha. It is known for its largest client base and all the right reasons.
While in the second place there is Upstox and then comes the Angel One. All these brokerage houses provide the best of the facilities and the most affordable brokerage plans can be understood by the number of active clients.
We have evaluated the number of active clients to get an idea of the number of transactions being done on the brokers’ platform.
However, these are the clients who trade actively daily. However, the actual number of clients these brokers have is way more than these.
Best Discount Brokers in India with Innovative Products
Know about Discount Brokers developing most innovative products here –
|Products & Innovation|
|International Stock Trading||No||No||Yes||No||No|
|Mutual Fund Investment||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Digital Gold Investment||No||Yes||No||Yes||No|
|Stock Market Education||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||No|
The Best Discount Brokers in India not only provide you with trading products but they keep on adding innovative products and services all the time.
As you can see in the table given above, as per products and innovation, the top discount brokers are Zerodha at the first place with multiple assets to trade and innovative technologies and facilities.
Then there is Upstox which is a tech-first trading platform itself. Then there is Angel One, 5 Paisa, and Samco.
Know more about innovative products
These five are the best as per the range of products they offer and facilities. Equity, futures and options, and commodities are offered by all these five brokerage houses.
However, Currencies are only offered by Angel one and SAMCO. Zerodha, Upstox, and 5 Paisa do not offer currency trading.
International stocks you can only trade with Angel One and not the other discount brokers as given in the table above. Another product that is offered by all the five brokers on the list is a mutual fund.
Coming to innovation, digital gold investment is becoming quite popular these days. It is offered by Upstox, and 5Paisa only.
This is a sign of being truly innovative technologically advanced trading platforms.
Algo trading and basket trading facilities are there with all five of them. Zerodha, Angel One, and 5Paisa also provide learning opportunities in the stock market.
Top 10 Discount Brokers in India providing High Quality Services
Check out the list of best discount brokers providing high quality services –
|High Quality Services|
|3 in 1 Account||No||No||No||No||No|
|Intraday Trading Account||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Digital Gold Account||No||Yes||No||No||No|
|Research & Advisory||No||No||Yes||No||Yes|
|Portfolio Management Services||No||No||No||No||Yes|
|Loan against Shares||No||No||Yes||No||Yes|
|Sub Broker Franchise||No||No||Yes||No||Yes|
The fifth parameter that we have taken into account is the quality of services. We have chosen these Top 10 Discount Brokers in India according to how high-quality services they provide.
In the first five positions, there is Zerodha, Upstox, Angel One, Groww, and Edelweiss. These five brokers have been providing the best of services to the clients.
Then you can invest in IPO through all of these five brokerage houses.
Angel One and Edelweiss also provide research and advisory services which are missing from the other discount brokers’ services.
These two brokers also provide loans against shares, sub broker franchise and referral programs, and other facilities.
Best Discount Broker with Highest Brand Trust
Here are Top 5 Discount Brokers with most Brand Value & Brand Trust in India –
|Brand Trust Rating (out of 10)|
|Pricing / Charges||9.40||9.55||9.60||9.45||9.65|
We have also observed the Brand trust amongst the clients to prepare this Discount Brokers List.
As per trust in the brand by the clients, the first place is taken by Zerodha where its product performance stands out from the rest.
Then as per experience in the business, Angel One has the upper hand. While Upstox and Edelweiss are mainly trusted for their pricing or brokerage charges.
For calculating the brand trust ratings we have taken into account the five factors mentioned in the table above.
They are product performance which is how the products of the broker are performing in the market by analyzing their demand.
Then customer service and complaints handling have been considered by us.
Then comes the pricing and brokerage charges and finally we took into account the number of years of experience each of these brokerage houses has.
Top Discount Brokers with Innovative Programs
Here are Top Discount Brokers with Innovative Programs –
For Discount Brokers Comparison, we finally took the parameter called innovative programs. This parameter has been analyzed based on five factors as well.
The factors are sub-brokership, master franchise, business partner program, influencer program, and referral program.
As per this parameter, Zerodha stands out and is on the top of the list.
Though it doesn’t provide sub-brokership, master franchise, and referral programs but Zerodha Partner Program is the new-age innovative program which has changed the industry for good.
Angel One provides all the five types of programs, same with IIFL and Edelweiss. These three discount brokers provide all the types of programs that are innovative and profitable for the clients.
We have gone through all 7 parameters & now lets have some brief understanding of these 10 discount brokers & why you should choose them.
Zerodha – Best Discount Broker
Zerodha is in the first position on our list of Best Discount Brokers. It is the largest brokerage house by some active clients in the country.
It came into existence in 2010, just a decade back but completely changed the game in the stock market arena.
With its technology-first approach along with one of the cheapest brokerage charges, it wins the stock traders’ heart in this country.
It is a public company with its headquarters in Bangalore. It was founded by Nithin Kamath. Here are the primary reasons for choosing Zerodha as your stock broker –
- The Broker has a wide range of trading platforms. As you can see in the above sections, it has the most innovative trading platforms. It provides Kite Web which is one of the most used trading app in the country. Apart from that, there are mobile trading platforms that are easy to use on the go and others.
- Then it offers the fastest trade execution as well. This helps in capturing the price you want to trade at.
- The brokerage charges are too cheap and the same across the segments. You just have to pay Rs. 20 per order. The order can be of any volume. You can trade ten stocks as well as 1 lakh stocks at the same time given the lot size. However, for both, you just have to pay Rs. 20. This is highly beneficial for active traders.
- Zerodha offers the most innovative range of products. Whether it is equity or mutual funds, commodities or F&O you can get to trade everything using Zerodha’s platform.
- They are known for their quality services, it is providing a wide range of services and they do not compromise with the quality at all.
Angel One – Top 10 Discount Brokers
The second broker out of the Top 10 Discount Brokers is Angel One. Angel One was previously known as the Angel Broking and it is the biggest brokerage house in India as per different aspects.
It is a traditional stock brokerage house that has kept its brokerage charges like a discount broker. Angel One stands out because of its unique nature.
It was founded in the year 1987 by Dinesh Thakkar. It is having its headquarters in Mumbai. It is also a public company which means its shares are there, listed on the stock exchange.
The reasons for choosing Angel One can be many such as –
- It provides services of a full-service brokerage house but charges like a discount broker. It charges only Rs.20 per order where you can trade any volume.
- It offers a wide range of services and research and advisory service is one of them. Hardly there is any discount broker which provides research and advisory services, but Angel One does.
- It offers all types of programs whether it’s sub-brokership, franchise, partnership, and others.
- Angel One being a full-service broker at the cost of a discount brokerage house, also offers a wide range of products that you may not get with other discount brokers.
- It offers ARQ Robo advisory to the clients which is one of the rarest features at present.
Upstox – Discount Brokers in India
The third place has been taken by Upstox in Discount Brokers in India list. It is known for its tech-first and low-cost trading services.
It has become one of the most popular brokers in the country because of different reasons such as –
- Upstox provides trading services without annual maintenance charges.
- It has a wide range of advanced trading platforms which includes Upstox Pro Web, Mobile App, terminal software.
- Upstox also provides AmiBroker which helps in coding different strategies for trading
- There are option chain tools as well and Developer console
- It offers multiple products starting from equities to mutual funds. It has a different trading platform for trading mutual funds as well.
- Upstox offers one of the cheapest brokerage charges across the market. You can trade every asset for just Rs. 20 per order. There are commodities, futures, and options available as well at this unbeatable price.
Groww – Best Discount Brokers in India
At the fourth position of Best Discount Brokers in India, we have Groww. It is a new-age brokerage house having its headquarters in Bangalore.
Groww is a very new discount brokerage house in the country which was established in 2016.
It started as a direct mutual fund selling platform but later also started providing other trading and Demat services as a discount broker.
The most important reasons for choosing Groww as your stockbroker can be –
- It offers flat-fee brokerage plans. You have to pay the lower of Rs. 20 or 0.05% on each order. So, Rs. 20 can be the maximum brokerage charge for any trade.
- It offers a wide range of innovative products which includes different trading platforms. The platforms are available on both mobile and desktop.
- One of the most important benefits is that it provides free mutual fund services. It offers advisory services in the mutual funds’ category.
- Groww has a very simple pricing model as well which helps the traders understand easily.
- It is an online discount broker where everything from account opening to trading everything is done online.
- Groww offers IPO for investment as well.
IIFL – Top Discount Brokers in India
IIFL is the fifth Top Discount Brokers in India as per its cheap prices and many other benefits.
However, it is a full-service brokerage house that provides all types of trading and investment services like traditional brokers but charges like a discount broker only.
It is one of the largest brokerage houses in the country and part of IIFL Group. IIFL is known for –
- Its exceptionally well-curated research and advisory services. It provides all types of research and advisory services to clients. From day-to-day stock trading tips to annual company reviews, IIFL provides all information.
- It offers advanced trading platforms of all ranges.
- There is every asset class available with IIFL that you can trade and diversify your investments.
- Even though it provides all these services, it charges a flat fee of Rs.20 per order like any discount broker does. It helps the traders avail all sorts of benefits at such a low price.
- IIFL provides multiple types of trading platforms – mobile app, terminal software, online platform, basket trading as well as Algo trading platforms.
- Finally, it provides multiple types of innovative programs as well – sub-brokership, master franchise, influencer program, and others.
Edelweiss – Top 10 Discount Brokers in India
Edelweiss ranks 6th amongst the Top 10 Discount Brokers in India. It was founded in the year 2008 as Edelweiss Broking Ltd.
It has its headquarter in Mumbai and it is a part of the premier Edelweiss Group which is one of the leading companies in the financial world.
There are multiple reasons for choosing this full-service broker with discount brokers’ charges –
- Yes, it is a full-service brokerage house that provides all sorts of trading services but charges like a discount broker. It charges only Rs. 10 per order, there is no one in the market to beat this pricing.
- It provides a wide range of trading platforms – Edelweiss Mobile App, Xtreme Trader, and others.
- Edelweiss also provides different types of trading accounts for different types of investors.
Paytm Money – Discount Broking House in India
Paytm Money is one of the new broking houses. It started in 2017, just 4 years back which it had its headquarters in Bengaluru.
The ranking is at 7th position on our Discount Brokers List because of the following reasons –
- It offers simple and innovative trading platforms
- The brokerage plans which Paytm Money offers are quite simplistic and cheap
- There are no maintenance charges that you need to pay for availing of their services.
- You can easily open an account online without any hassle.
- There are multiple assets classes that you can trade or invest in.
- It offers mutual funds for trading and investment as well as advisory services related to MF.
5Paisa – Best Discount Broking Firm in India
5Paisa comes in the 8th position as per Discount Brokers Comparison. It is a leading discount brokerage house that changed the trading game for retail investors.
It has one of the highest numbers of active clients. The reasons for which traders choose 58 paise are as follows –
- The cheap brokerage fee is Rs. 20 flat for any trade executed, irrespective of the size of the trade, asset class, or stock exchange.
- It offers one of the fastest account opening processes as everything is online and secure
- 5Paisa charges one of the lowest DP charges
- It has multiple trading platforms which are – 5Paisa Mobile app, Web trading platform, Trade Terminal
- 5Paisa is known for its innovative products and services
- It provides algo trading and research and advisory services as well.
SAMCO – Best Discount Brokerage Firm
SAMCO is one of the Best Discount Brokerage firms for multiple reasons. It is having its headquarter in Mumbai.
It offers different products and you can choose this broker for –
- It’s extremely low brokerage costs. The lower of Rs.20 or 0.02% is the brokerage/ commission on each trade.
- There are no maintenance charges for the first year after opening an account with SAMCO.
- You can also get 100% cashback on the brokerage amount for the first month of trading.
- It offers huge exposure/ leverage, margin against shares, and many such benefits.
- SAMCO has a huge range of trading platforms and AI and Robo advisory services.
- It offers mutual funds as well along with regular assets.
Espresso – Top Discount Brokerage House
MyEspresso or Sharekhan Espresso has been founded in 2021 and it has become the 10th Top Discount Brokerage house in such a short period.
The reason is it is an initiative by India’s one of the largest brokers – Sharekhan. It is a discount brokerage house by Sharekhan having its headquarter in Mumbai.
With MyEspresso you can get –
- Highly advanced trading platform with all types of trading tools
- Brokerage charges are pretty low
- It offers equity, commodities, currencies, F&O, and mutual funds as well
- It offers stock recommendation services too
- MuEspresso offers leverage up to 5 times.
- It also offers different innovative programs like Espresso Trade Booster Program and other referral programs.
Honorable Mentions – Largest Discount Brokers
There are five other Largest Discount Brokers which couldn’t make it to the top ten but they also have great facilities and a wide range of products available at very reasonable brokerage plans.
They have missed just by few points or ratings but they also have different benefits. You can also choose these brokers if they suit your requirements.
Best Discount Brokers in 2022 – Conclusion
Choosing the Best Discount Brokers is a tough job. However, choosing the right broker can help you elevate your trading experience.
So, you have all the information you need for the top discount brokers in India here on this page.
You know the parameters on which we have chosen them and how. We hope you can choose the broker wisely.
Best Discount Broker FAQs
Check out FAQs on Top 10 Discount Brokers in India here –
Ques – Who are called discount brokers in stock market?
Answer – Discount broker is basically a type of stockbroking firm that is the new additions to the hub of stock brokers.
They do not generally provide all the services as that of the traditional brokers, but rather aim to provide discounts to all their customers. The supposed discount is levied on the brokerage fees.
Ques – What makes Zerodha the best discount broker?
Answer – Discount on brokerage charge, online account opening easy process, no physical presence whatsoever, and zero margin money makes Zerodha the best discount broker to have ever existed.
You can trade at lower prices with them, with the best assistance to technology.
Ques – What makes Angel Broking the best discount broker & Full Service Broker?
Answer – The fact that Angel broking provides a multitude of benefiting stockbroking experience, products and service offerings, less brokerage charges, Research advisory and stock tips to offer, 24×7 customer support, training sessions for clients, margin funding facility and an enormous quantity of trading platform makes it the best discount broker and a full time service brokers.
Ques – What makes Upstox the best discount broker?
Answer – Upstox charges really less commission on every order you make and gives you enough tools to evaluate and study the market all on your own.
Upstox provides its customers with more than hundred charts and feasible data for them to make a tactful decision.
Ques – What makes 5Paisa the best discount broker?
Answer – This company offers enough online stock broking services for all its customers and their key features include online trading at BSE, NSE and MCX.
At absolute cheap prices, this stock broking house provides the best of technology assistance and trading services & products.
Ques – Why you should choose Discount broker for opening Demat account?
Answer – If at all you are thinking of trading then opening an account to discount broker is pretty advantages.
They provide you with a quick trading platform and charges extremely low brokerage which is a powerful tool for every trader to save and score more profit.
Ques – Which discount broker has the best trading app?
Answer – Zerodha’s ‘Kite’ is a mobile app that has come of tremendous value and is shining as the best trading app.
That app has a very customer friendly experience and it is pretty easy to use. One of the most deadly features is manifold market watch with the detailed information about the live market.
Ques – Which discount broker gives maximum exposure for intraday?
Answer – Reliance Securities gives up to 10x margin for intraday trading. It stands at a notching height beating every other firm there is.
With maximum benefit and low brokerage, this should make all your investments procure high profits throughout the year.
Ques – Which discount broker opens demat account instantly?
Answer – With a seemingly smooth 9.6/10 rating, extremely low brokerage charges and an easy online account opening process, Zerodha marks itself to be one of the most leading firms to have existed.
You can seamlessly get started with them instantly.
Ques – How to open instant Demat account with discount brokers?
Answer – All you have to do is select the best discount brokerage firm you wish to invest in, for instance, Zerodha, fill the account opening form given on the website, upload your documents and go ahead with the KYC, make the payment and once you are verified, you will get the account details in your respective email ID.
Get a Call back from your Favorite Stock Broker