GST or Goods and Services Tax were brought into the parliament in 2017 by the Indian Government.
GST was initiated in 2017 but still, a lot of people know very little about GST. There are so many confusions among people regarding GST and GST registration.
If you go through the full article you will get to know more about registering for GST. It is quite easy and any person with decent computer knowledge can easily register for you.
About GST & GST Registration
Goods and Services Tax is an indirect form of tax introduced in India in 2017.
It is bought into existence to cope up with multiple form tax slabs that existed back then. It helps to reduce existing multiple tax slabs into one.
Thus, if a person pays GST once for a good or service then that person does not have to go through destination-based, comprehensive, and multi-stage tax forms that existed in India.
Today in India, GST registration is mandatory for companies earning more than 40 Lakh Indian rupees of revenue per annum.
The tax slab of GST for North Easter states is 10 Lakh Indian Rupees Per annum.
Now, if you are eligibility for GST returns, You need to register yourself and your business on the GST portal.
GST registration is plain and simple because there are categories based on the business you do or the service you provide. Here is the division of GST payers under different slabs.
Open Demat Account Now! – Zero Brokerage on Delivery
Articles on Income Tax Planning and Policy
|Income Tax||Income Tax refund|
|Tax Planning & Policy||Income Tax online payment|
|Income Tax Return||Tax Plan|
|E filing of income tax return||Income Tax deductions|
Eligibility for GST Registration
Not all people who pay tax fall under GST and thus cannot register for GST. The only business providing Services or selling goods can go for GST registration.
There are also some clauses for you to be eligible for GST registration.
- If you are a service provider or a Business selling goods that registered for Tax schemes before GST then you have to transfer into a GST scheme.
- Your business has to exceed a turnover of 40 Lakh Indian rupees in India except for the North Eastern States. In North-Eastern states, if your turnover is more than 10 Lakh Indian rupees, then you are eligible for GST filing.
- Individuals, Businesses who are operating through e-commerce platforms are liable to pay GST. Not only this, but the eCommerce platform is itself liable to pay GST under the new rules.
More information related to GST and Tax Planning
|Tax Advisors||TDS / Tax Deduction at Source|
|Best tax saving Investments||GST / goods and services tax|
|GST Return Filing||Income Tax section 80c|
Types of GST Registration
Here are the various types of GST Registration process –
Maximum people residing in India usually fall under this slab. Generally, no necessary deposits or GST filing are under this slab.
Most of the companies running in India fall under this jurisdiction
Casual Taxable Individual
Temporary businesses usually fall under this category. Casual taxable Businesses are those who set up their business for a short period usually months.
Here, Renewal and extensions can be done after the tenure ends, which is 3 months. The individual has to deposit the GST amount.
This amount will be the tax amount that will get incurred during the whole tenure of the business.
Non- Resident Taxable Individual
NRI or Non- Residential Indian doing business in India occasionally falls under this category.
When a person residing outside India does business in India occasionally then he or she is liable to pay GST in the form of Non-Resident Tax.
The GST amount equal to the expected GST amount has to be deposited first.
There are no predictions involved when the business is huge with a turnover of more than 1 Cr Indian Rupees.
In that case, companies have to deposit an amount set by the Tax Department. This is a huge step to eliminate the complicated steps involved as those steps often lead to hassle.
Documents needed to Register for GST Account
These are the documents you have to submit while registering for a GST account
- Permanent Account Number (PAN) card of the applicant.
- Incorporation Certificate/ Valid proof of Business Registration
- AADHAR card of the applicant
- Address proof of the place where the business is being conducted
- A canceled Cheque or a Bank account statement of the Bank account related to the business
- Digital Sign of the Applicant
- Authorization letter or board resolution if any for Authorized signatory
GST Registration Online Process
As mentioned earlier, GST registration is very easy and simple. The application consists of two parts.
In the first part personal details like phone number name email address etc are verified. In part two, the details of the businesses are to be furnished.
Here is the Online GST Registration process in detail:
Part A of GST registration
- First, you have to visit the GST portal of India which is https://gst.gov.in
- Click on the Services tab then find the Registration tab under it. There click on “New registration” to proceed with the application
- On the top of the application choose Taxpayer from the dropdown list
- Select State and District from the drop-down menu
- Next, enter the Legal name of the business or entity as applicable. It should match the name on the PAN card.
- Next enter the PAN card details of the business
- Fill up the email address field with the email address of the Proprietor. You have to do the same for the Valid Mobile number field
- Fill up the Captcha and click on proceed to go to the next step.
- In the next step you will receive a Temporary Reference Number. This Temporary Reference Number is sent to your email address and mobile number.
Part B of GST Registration
- Keep the Temporary Registration Number (TRN) handy while starting this step.
- In the GST portal under the Services tab, click on the registration Tab and then click on New Registration and there you can click on the TRN button.
- On clicking the TRN button, you will be able to login using the Temporary Registration Number or the TRN.
- Verify your mobile phone number in the next step by entering OTP sent to your mobile number.
- Next, in “My Saved Application Page”, click on the edit which is under the action column.
- Fill out all the details related to business in the following steps.
- Click “Save and proceed” to complete the application process
- After submission, you will receive an Application reference number which marks the successful registration of GST
Types of GST Applicable in India
Although GST reduces the multi-stage tax scheme into one, various types of GST are applicable based on administration.
CGST or Central Goods and Service Tax is the tax levied by the Central Government of India on various goods and services.
The total Jurisdiction of this tax goes under the Central Government of India. Usually, intrastate products come under this category.
CGST has replaced a lot of previously levied taxes such as Central Excise, Customs Tax, CST to name a few.
State Goods and Service Tax is the tax levied by State Governments for Goods and services payable in that state of India.
SGST has replaced VAT, state sales tax, entertainment tax, and many others to reduce the burden of a taxpayer.
Union States Goods and Service Tax is also known as UTGST is only applicable on the Union territories of India which includes Delhi, Chandigarh, Andaman and Nicobar Island, Daman and Diu, Dadra and Nagar Haveli.
Inter-State Goods and services tax refers to the tax which is applicable when Goods or services are exchanged in-between states.
GST Registration – Conclusion
According to new norms, GST is mandatory for businesses, Individual service providers, and Goods distributors to register for GST.
However, the tax slab is Rs 40 Lakh for the provider of the goods. In the North-Eastern States, Jammu and Kashmir, and Himachal Pradesh it is 10 Lakh.
In the case of Service providers, it is Rs 10 Lakh for North-eastern states and Rs 20 Lakh for the rest of India. You can apply for multiple registrations within a state for different businesses.
There are a lot of benefits that come with GST registrations and GST filing. You can operate a business without any restrictions so as to avail of an input tax credit.
Open Demat Account Now! – Zero Brokerage on Delivery
Most Read Articles
|Best Discount Broker in India|
|Best Full Service Broker in India|
|Top Stock Broker in India|
|Best Intraday Trading Brokers in India|
|Best Demat Account|
|Top 10 Sub Broker Partner in India|
|Sub Broker Franchise|
|Everything on Trading Platforms|